No cool air blowing
Air Conditioning | AC Troubleshooting
The most common problem arising with air conditioning units in Katy is that the air conditioner is not blowing cold air. That’s the main thing we need an a/c for right? There are quite a few places to look for this problem. Half the problems could be with the outside unit and the other half could be with the unit inside.
Issues that occur from inside the house:
The biggest problem is usually a clogged filter. Yep, it’s that simple! Most people don’t change their filter often enough, they neglect changing their air conditioning filter and it ends up clogging. When the filter gets clogged, the condenser on the inside part of the furnace can’t breath and the condenser freezes up. Change your filter once a month and if you visually see ice, turn the unit off for a few hours to allow the ice that has accumulated to thaw.
The main function of an air conditioning unit is to take out the warm air that is inside the home. When the a/c unit takes the warm air out, it replaces it with the cold air that sifted through the freon filled condenser.
2. Another issue is that the inside condenser fins could be clogged with the debris from the dirty air filter. You can buy a special fin brush to clean off the debris.
3. Low freon pressure could also be the problem. The ideal pressure reading is around 65-70 psi, you will need freon gauges to get a reading from the high side (the larger of the two freon lines). Freon can slowly escape from the outside unit over time. That is why the unit must be serviced occasionally. A set of pressure gauges can be bought if you want to check the psi yourself, but you will not be able to add freon, you need an EPA license to work with freon. If you do need freon, call an air conditioning contractor for a service call.
4. When the thermostat is turned down low and the unit inside is not coming on at all it could be caused by the condenser fan motor. Wire connections could be burning up or may have been loosened by vibration. When this happens you need to call an air conditioning expert for repair.
Problems that occur outside the house:
First check to see that the outside unit is turned on!
1. The outside condenser fan could be burnt out. An air conditioning technician must service the outside unit for safety purposes. If the inside unit is running and the outside is not then the outside condenser will heat up and shut down until it has cooled off. This can also cause the seals inside the condenser to warp or even melt. First turn off the power to the unit. Next, the top part of the air conditioning housing needs to come off with an ordinary screwdriver. The fan is attached to the top lid and can also be easily unscrewed. Disconnect the corresponding wires and label them to allow with easy re-installation. After the wires are connected back, turn the power back on and attach everything the same way it came off. It’s one of the easier tasks to handle.
2. The contactor may also be malfunctioning. You can tell this by a buzzing noise (usually loud). To replace this part you must take off the panel located on the backside of the unit. The contactor will look like a box with piston-like features. Again, you will be able to locate it easily by the sound it’s making. Next, turn the power off and check for electricity flow with an Ohm-meter. When you start taking the contactor off, you can either unscrew the mounting brackets first or disconnect the wires. Just make sure you label the wires first so you know which wires connects to each lead. Once the new contactor is mounted you can connect the wires and replace the panel. Another job well done.
3. The outside unit may not be working and not getting electricity. to check this out look at the breakers inside the house and also the breaker box just above the unit outside. In some cases, the connectors to the outside breaker may have melted together. If this is the case call an conditioning repair specialist.
We hope you were able to get some help from the above guide. If not call one of our recommended air conditioning repair specialists to get your a/c unit back cooling your home. Call Today:
Are you noticing that you are getting too big of a temperature swing in your rooms during the summer when the air conditioner is running? What’s going on with your air conditioner